Monday, September 5, 2011

Spanish for September

Hablamos Español

 (We speak Spanish)

¡Hola!  This month we are playing a little catch-up with vocabulary, as well as adding some new words.  Since last month was so busy as school started, we did not have a chance to learn our pet vocabulary.  So, this month we will learn pets, family members, and numbers.  We will also learn a little bit about Guatemala, and make quetzal bird crafts.   The quetzal bird is a bright, colorful bird chosen as the national bird of Guatemala.  It is so popular that Guatemalan currency is also named after it.  Some have even called the quetzal “the most beautiful bird in all the Americas!”

Vocabulario (vocabulary):
  • Tengo ____  (tango)  I have ___
  • animal doméstico  (ah-knee-mawl  dough-mess-tea-ko) pet
  • gato  (gaw-toe) cat
  • perro (pear-row) dog
  • pescado (pace-ca-dough) fish
  • conejo (cone-ay-hoe) rabbit
  • ave (ah-vay) bird
  • los numeros  (los new-mer-ohs)  numbers
  • uno  (oo-no)  One
  • dos (dohs)  Two
  • tres (trays)  Three
  • cuatro (qwah-troh) Four
  • cinco  (sing-co)  Five
  • seis  (sayss)  Six
  • siete  (see-et-ay)  Seven
  • ocho  (oh-cho)  Eight
  • nueve  (new-ay-vay)  Nine
  • diez  (dee-ace)  Ten
  • Tengo ___ años. (tango __ on-yohss) I am __ years old.
  • familia  (fuh-me-lee-uh)  family
  • mama  (maw-ma) mother
  • papa (paw-pa) father
  • hermana (err-mon-uh) sister
  • hermano  (err-mon-o) brother
  • bebé  (bay-bay)  baby
  • abuela  (uh-bway-luh)  grandmother
  • abuelo  (uh-bway-lo)  grandfather
  • Amo a mi familia.  (ah-mow ah me fuh-me-lee-uh)  I love my family.
  • Te amo.  (tay ah-mow)  I love you.
Canción (song):

“Diez Deditos”—(Ten Little Fingers)
(to the tune of “Ten Little Indians”)

Uno, dos, tres deditos,                       (One, two, three little fingers,)

Cuatro, cinco, seis deditos,               (Four, five, six little fingers,)

Siete, ocho, nueve deditos,                (Seven, eight, nine little fingers,)

Diez deditos hay.                                 (I have ten little fingers!)

1 comment:

  1. I just love the songs my son comes home and sings!

    ReplyDelete